John Beaufort First Duke of Somerset, K. G. 685
- Born: 1404 661
- Marriage (1): Margaret Beauchamp
- Marriage (2): Margaret Beauchamp
- Died: 27 May 1444 at age 40 661
- Buried: Wimborne Minster, Dorset, England 685
Noted events in his life were:
• Career. 726,837 John was a distinguished military commander in the reigns of Henry V and Henry VI. He was made lieutenant-general of Aquitaine and of the whole of France and the duchy of Normandy.
John had been unlucky since his youth. He was captured on campaign in France at the age of 16 and was held captive for 17 years - longer than any other nobleman during the Hundred Years War. When he was eventually released, he had a huge ransom to pay and no chance of making a lucrative marriage. Instead of a prized virgin from a noble family, he had to make do with the daughter of a gentleman, Margaret Beauchamp of Bletsoe, who was the widow of Oliver St. John.
• Death, 1444. 685,838 John may have taken his own life.
John married Margaret Beauchamp, daughter of Sir John Beauchamp of Bletsho, Knt and Unknown. (Margaret Beauchamp was born in 1385 661 and died in 1474 661.)
John next married Margaret Beauchamp. (Margaret Beauchamp was born about 1410 in Bletsoe, Bedfordshire, England 300 and died on 8 Aug 1482 in Wimborne Minster, Dorset, England 300,839.)