Empress Matilda of England 978,979
- Born: 7 Feb 1102, Sutton Courtenay, Oxfordshire, England 978
- Marriage (1): Geoffrey V "The Fair" Plantagenet Count of Anjou on 17 Jun 1128
- Marriage (2): Emperor Henry V of Germany in 1114 979
- Died: 10 Sep 1167, Rouen, France at age 65 978,979
Noted events in her life were:
• Adelaide. 976 She was christened Adelaide and took the name Matilda on her first marriage.
• Heir. 976 Matilda became the heir to the English throne when her brother drowned in 1120 in the White Ship disaster. By then Matilda had been married for six years to the Emporer Henry V who was thirty years her senior. The marriage was childless and he died in 1125. In 1121, Matilda's father Henry took a second wife but she also failed to bear him any children and he was obliged on three separate occasions to make his barons recognize Matilda as his heir. They did this reluctantly since there was no precedent for a woman ruler, either in England or Normandy.
When Henry I died, there was a confused and problematic succession. Henry's nephew Stephen was acclaimed King but this was challenged by Matilda. Matilda commanded enought support and enjoyed sufficient resources to throw Stephen's kingdom into turmoil. Matilda's son Henry took up the struggle and for much of Stephen's reigh, but especially between 1139 and 1145, there was anarchy in England.
Matilda married Geoffrey V "The Fair" Plantagenet Count of Anjou, son of Fulk V "the Younger" d'Anjou Count of Anjou, King of Jerusalem and Ermengarde of Maine, on 17 Jun 1128. (Geoffrey V "The Fair" Plantagenet Count of Anjou was born on 24 Aug 1113 in Anjou, France,971,972 died on 7 Sep 1151 in Château-du-Loire, Sarthe, Pays de la Loire, France 971,972,973 and was buried in 1151 in Cathédrale Saint-Julien, Le Mans, Sarthe, Pays de la Loire, France 972.)
Matilda next married Emperor Henry V of Germany in 1114.979 (Emperor Henry V of Germany died in 1125 870.)