John Walker 340
- Born: 15 May 1604, Cowfold, Essex, England 258,1264,1265,1266
- Marriage (1): Katherine Hutchinson
- Died: Mar 1647, Portsmouth, Rhode Island at age 42 258,1264
Noted events in his life were:
• Related?. 1267 John married Katherine Hutchinson who may have been related to Anne Hutchinson. Anne Marbury Hutchinson was a banished Christian dissident from Massachusetts.
• Portsmouth Compact, 7 Mar 1638, Boston, MA. 1267 John is among the 23 original signers of the Portsmouth Compact.
Wikipedia states the following about the Compact: The Portsmouth Compact was a document signed on March 7, 1638 that established the settlement of Portsmouth, which is now a town in the state of Rhode Island . It was the first document in history that severed both political and religious ties with mother England. The document was written and signed in Boston by a group of men who followed Anne Hutchinson, a banished Christian dissident from Massachusetts, to seek religious freedom in Rhode Island. The signers were ready to move to Aquidneck Island to set up a new colony and had been disarmed by the Puritan leaders of the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
The purpose of the Portsmouth Compact was to set up a new, independent colony that was Christian in character but non-sectarian in governance. It has been called "the first instrument for governing as a true democracy."
John married Katherine Hutchinson. (Katherine Hutchinson was born circa 1605 1264 and died before 2 Apr 1654 1264.)