Bishop Stephen Gardiner of Wincester 300,1394
- Born: 1483, Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, England 300
- Marriage (1): Margaret Grey
- Marriage (2): Margaret Grey circa 1505 in Berwick upon Tweed, Northumberland, England 1393
- Died: 12 Nov 1555, Westminster, Middlesex, England at age 72 300,1394
- Buried: Wincester Cathedral. Wincester, England 1393
Noted events in his life were:
• Religious conservatism: England. 1394 Stephan was the intellectual leader of religious conservatism in England in the mid-16th Century, a dangerous position to hold in view of the changes that Henry VIII wanted to make. Although Stephan had helped to frame the arguments for the Royal Supremacy, he came to question its ability to protect England from heresy.
• Marriage, 25 Jul 1554, Winchester Cathedral. Stephen married Queen Mary to King Philip of Spain on this date. The marriage treaty with Spain had given no powers or land to Philip and he could not inherit England if Mary died childless. Parliament had confirmed that Mary had the full rights of a king and at their marriage Mary stood on Philip's right as a mark of her superior status.
Mary did die childless and was succeeded by her half-sister, Elizabeth.
Stephen married Margaret Grey, daughter of Edmund Grey Ninth Lord Grey of Wilton and Florence Hastings. (Margaret Grey was born in 1483 in Wilton, Herefordshire, England 300 and died circa 1578 1393.)
Stephen next married Margaret Grey, daughter of Edmund Grey Ninth Lord Grey of Wilton and Florence Hastings, circa 1505 in Berwick upon Tweed, Northumberland, England.1393 (Margaret Grey was born in 1483 in Wilton, Herefordshire, England 300 and died circa 1578 1393.)