John De Grey K. G., 2º Baron Grey of Rotherfield 1678
- Born: 9 Oct 1300, Rotherfield Greys, Sussex, England 1679
- Christened: 1 Nov 1300, Rotherfield Greys, Sussex, England
- Marriage (1): Catherine Fitzalan before 27 Dec 1317 in Rotherfield, Oxfordshire, England 1428
- Marriage (2): Avice (Alice) Marmion in 1342 in Lincolnshire, England 1677
- Died: Sep 1359, Rotherfield, Sussex, England at age 58 1679
Noted events in his life were:
• Biography. 1428 John received livery of his lands in the fifteenth year of the reign of Edward II. In 1336 he was fighting for the King in Scotland; in 1342 he took part in the expedition to Flanders. He was in France in 1343, 1345-6, 1348 and again in 1356. He took part in the Battle of Crecy in 1346 with Edward III and his son Edward, the Black Prince, and it was after his return (after the fall of Calais in 1347) that he was given licence to crenellate Rotherfield. In the 6th of the reign of Edward III, upon some differences between his lordship and William la Zouche of Haryngworth, another great baron, which was heard before the King, Lord Grey, under the irritation of the moment, drew his knife upon Lord Zouche in the royal presence, whereupon both lords were committed to prison; but the Lord Zouche was soon afterwards released, while Lord Grey was remanded and his lands seized upon by the crown. He was, however, within a short time, upon making submission, restored to favour. In 1353 he was commissioner of array for the counties of Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire, and in 1356 was one of the witnesses to the charters by which Edward Baliol granted all his rights in Scotland to Edward III. He was steward of the king's household and had summons to parliament from the 1st to the 29th Edward III, inclusive. Was one of the Original Knights of the Garter instituted at its foundation in 1344 and confirmed in 1348, where he occupied the eighth stall on the sovereign's side at Windsor Castle. [This per Burke's Peerage, Ltd., London, England, 1883, p. 247, Grey, Barons Grey, of Rotherfield, co. Oxford]
• Order of the Garter. 1680 John Grey of Rotherfield was a founding member of the Most Noble Order of the Garter.
• Lord Steward, 1349. 1680 By December 1349, John was Lord Steward of the Royal Household of King Edward III . He distinguished himself well in the Scotch and French wars. He was summoned to parliament often from 1338 to 1357.
John married Catherine Fitzalan, daughter of Brian Fitzalan Baron Bedale and Agnes Maud Baliol, before 27 Dec 1317 in Rotherfield, Oxfordshire, England.1428 (Catherine Fitzalan was born in 1300 in Bedall, Yorkshire, England 1455 and died on 7 Aug 1328 in Church Blackfriar, York, Yorkshire, England 1455.)
John next married Avice (Alice) Marmion, daughter of Lord John Marmion 4th Baron Marmion of Winteringham and Maud Furnival, in 1342 in Lincolnshire, England.1677 (Avice (Alice) Marmion was born in 1309 in Tanfield, Yorkshire, England 1673,1681 and died after 20 Mar 1378 in Whitney, Oxfordshire, England 1673.)