Capt. John Fillmore 125,127
- Born: 18 Mar 1702, Ipswich, Essex County, MA 127,131,448
- Marriage (1): Mary Spillar on 28 Nov 1724 in Ipswich, Essex County, MA 447
- Marriage (2): Mary Roach
- Marriage (3): Dorcas Day after 1734 in Ipswich, Essex County, MA 131
- Died: 22 Feb 1777, Norwich (Now Franklin), New London County, Conn. at age 74 131
Noted events in his life were:
• President Fillmore. 449 John and his second wife, Dorcas Day, were the great-grandparents of Millard Fillmore, 13th President of the United States.
• Captured, 1723. 450 Some extraordinary incidents are connected with his previous history. While out on a fishing voyage he had been captured by a noted pirate of the name of PHILLIPS, and compelled to perform duty as the helmsman of the freebooting craft; but after nine months of this odious service, he combined with several other prisoners that had been subsequently taken, and at a concerted signal, making a desperate attack upon their captors, they killed and threw overboard the captain and a number of his crew, disabled the rest, took possession of the vessel, and navigated her to Boston, where they arrived May 3, 1724, and gave their prisoners up to justice. Three of them were executed in Boston, and three sent to England, where they suffered at Execution Dock. The gun, sword, tobacco-box, buckles, and rings of the captain of the corsair were awarded by the Court of Admiralty to young FILLMORE, as spoils won by his valor and decision. A part of these articles are still preserved as relics by his descendants.
John married Mary Spillar, daughter of Henry Spillar and Sarah, on 28 Nov 1724 in Ipswich, Essex County, MA.447 (Mary Spillar was born in 1707 in Ipswich, Essex County, MA 447 and died on 28 Jun 1733 in Norwich (Now Franklin), New London County, Conn. 447.)
John next married Mary Roach. (Mary Roach was born circa 1709 127 and died on 23 Apr 1798 127.)
John next married Dorcas Day, daughter of Nathaniel Day and Ruth Rowe, after 1734 in Ipswich, Essex County, MA.131 (Dorcas Day was born on 2 Feb 1715 in Attleboro, Mass.,127 died on 22 Mar 1759 in Norwich (Now Franklin), New London County, Conn. 127 and was buried in Plains Cemetery, Franklin, New London, CT 451.)