de Beaufort, Henry Bishop of Wincester (Cardinal ) 221
- Born: Summer 1375 264
- Died: 11 Apr 1447, Wolvesey Palace, Wincester, England at age 72 265,266
- Buried: Wincester Cathedral 266
Noted events in his life were:
• First papal appointment, Jan 1397. 267 Henry was appointed Dean of Wells Cathedral in Somerset at the age of 20. This was probably at the request of John of Gaunt. This first appointment launched a spectacular and meteoric career in the Church.
• Oxford Chancellor, Apr 1397. 268 Henry was appointed Chancellor of Oxford University.
• Career, 1404-1432, England. 266 Henry was the most dynamic of Katherine's sons. In 1404 he was made the Bishop of Winchester and stood high in the councils of Kings Hnery IV and V. He bacame enormously rich and influential in the process and it has been said that he was probably the greatest royal creditor of the age.
Henry narrowly missed becoming pope in 1418. He became a cardinal in 1426.
• Joan of Arc, 1431. 266 Henry was one of the judges who condemned Joan of Arc to be burned at the stake.