King Edward III of England 777
- Born: 13 Nov 1312, Windsor Castle, England 738
- Marriage (1): Philippa of Hainault on 24 Jan 1328 in York Minster 753
- Died: 21 Jun 1377, Sheen Palace, Surrey, England at age 64 738,778
- Buried: Westminster Abbey, England 779
Noted events in his life were:
• Crowned, 1 Feb 1327, Westminster Abbey. 779,780 He succeeded to the throne in 1327 succeeding his father who abdicated.
• Battles, 1340-1347. 780 In prosecuting his claim to the French throne, the King had inflicted resounding defeats on England's ancient enemy at Sluys in 1340, Crecy in 1346 and Calais in 1347.
• Great King. 781 Edward was one of the best and strongest Kings England has had. His long reign of 50 years allowed him to bring about many reforms. He was a warrior and statesman with a lawyer-like frame of mind. More important laws were passed during his reigh than in the 300 years before. He created Justices of the Peace, created the rank of Duke, established the Order of the Garter, divided Parliament into the Houses of Commons and of Lords and had its powers clearly defined. He made English the language of the courts and Parliament replacing French.
• Order of the Garter, 23 Apr 1349, Windsor Castle, England. 782 Edward created the Order of the Garter on this day. This is England's most exclusive knightly club and Edward's most brilliantly realized acts of royal propaganda.
Edward married Philippa of Hainault, daughter of William Count of Hainault and Holland and Unknown, on 24 Jan 1328 in York Minster.753 (Philippa of Hainault was born in 1311 738 and died on 14 Aug 1369 in Windsor, England 738,783.)